Wednesday, August 09, 2006

River crossing puzzle and favourite books

River crossing puzzle

Recently I was going through the blog of my friend Ranjit [http://rmathew.blogspot.com/2006/08/another-river-crossing-puzzle.html]; I found an interesting 'river crossing puzzle'. I remember we used to solve these kinds of problems in our primary/high school days [I am now working as software engineer in B'lore], it suddenly took me back to my olden golden days.

I sat down to solve it. I couldn't make my first move till 8th minute. I was feeling 'there is no solution to this problem'. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, one move came to my mind. After that move, it was mostly fluent and I could complete the whole problem in almost 15 mins. I really felt satisfied after I solved this puzzle. My solution also involved exactly 17 steps as Ranjit's.

Books

Recently I have developed the habit of reading books. I never used to read books except text/technical, now I realize how much I missed out. I completed reading the book 'Good to Great', it is absolutely amazing. It talks about how does a seemingly average company [good company] goes on to become 'great' company. The amount of time spent

and research done to come up with this book is enormous. It is really worth a read for the enterpreneurs and to-be enterpreneurs.

I am currently reading 'The TAO of Physics'. This book tries to draw a parallel between modern physics and eastern mysticism. I have read only the first chapter and it got me really interested. I will put down my thoughts after I read the book.

During discussion, my friends mentioned few more books - 'A road less travelled', 'Five people you meet in heaven' etc. I am really excited about reading books as it decreases my 'I don't know that I don't know' domain.

No comments: